Extra Help for Disable Students in the UK

Students having a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia can get extra help by applying for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) and Access to Learning Fund.

Disabled Student’s Allowances (DSAs)

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are paid directly to the organisation offering the service or equipment or into your bank account. No repayment required. It covers the costs of specialist equipment, non-medical helpers, extra travel costs that are being paid due to your disability and other costs, like photocopying etc. 


Students having a disability or long-term health condition, mental health condition, or a specific learning difficulty like dyslexia or dyspraxia is eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowance. Also, you must be an undergraduate or postgraduate student, including Open University or distance learning, have a condition that affects your ability to study, qualify for student finance from Student Finance England, or be studying on a course that lasts at least a year. 
To avail the DSA, you need to have a proof of your eligibility: either a report or letter from your doctor or consultant stating about your impairment or health conditions; or a diagnostic assessment from a psychologist who can indicate your specific learning disability. 

Applying Procedure

To apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) send form DSA1 to Student Finance England.
Student Finance England 
PO Box 210 
DL1 9HJ 

Access to Learning Fund

Access to Learning Fund is for students in financial hardship, who need extra help to initiate a course or stay in higher education. Your university or college decides who gets the money and how much you can get. 
Financial hardships include students with children- majorly single parents, mature students - particularly those with existing financial commitments, students from low-income families, disabled students, care leavers, students who are homeless or who are living in ‘Foyers’, and final-year students. 


A full-time, part-time, undergraduate, postgraduate student studying a higher education course can apply to the Access to Learning Fund. If you’re a part-time student you must be fulfill one of the following conditions: your course lasts at least 1 year, takes no more than twice as long to complete as an equivalent full-time course, or takes no more than 4 times as long to complete as an equivalent full-time course if you’re a new student starting from September 2012.

Applying Procedure

Contact the student services department at your respective university or college for the application. You’ll need to submit a copy of your letter from Student Finance England indicating how much student finance you’ll get and documents about your funds, like bank statements and rent details. 
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

More »

  • No Press Releases to display

More »


Uk Select a Country

Our Network :