Financing Postgraduate and Dance and Drama Study in the UK

Funding for Postgraduate Study

There are a various options for funding your postgraduate study. It can be received through studentships, bursaries, grants and loans and also from your employer.


Studentships, funded by Research Councils UK, are postgraduate positions that have funding attached for fees, living expenses or both.

Charities and Trusts

Charities and trusts provide grants for students who are underprivileged or those who've attained academic excellence. 

Learned Societies

Learned Societies offer funding for postgraduate or post-doctoral research. These societies include: the British Academy for humanities and social sciences – post doctorate only, the Royal Academy of Engineering for engineering and the Royal Society for science - post doctorate only. 

Other Help

Other help includes funding from the following:
  • An individual - sometimes people donate awards to help postgraduates. 
  • Employer - they might sponsor you if the course is relevant to your job
  • Disabled Students’ Allowance: Students having a disability or long-term health condition, mental health condition, or a specific learning difficulty like dyslexia or dyspraxia can opt for Disabled Students’ Allowance.
  •  Professional and Career Development Loan: Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans to pay for courses and training that assist with your career or help get you into work. You can borrow the loan between £300 and £10,000. You can apply for loan by ordering an application pack by calling the National Careers service on 0800 100 900. Fill in the application form and send it to the bank. 
  • The Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS): It’s an agency of the Scottish Government giving financial support to eligible students doing a course of higher education in the UK.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for professional and career development loan, you must be 18 or over, have been living in the UK for at least 3 years before your course starts, plan to work in the UK, European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) after the course.
The Courses must only last up to 2 years, or 3 years if they include 1 year of work experience, or be provided by an organisation on the Professional Career and Development Loan Register.

Repayment and Interest

Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans that have to be repaid. The government pays the interest while you study and for 1 month after you leave your course. After that, you need to repay your loan. 

Funding for Students: Dance and Drama Awards

Dance and Drama Award (DaDA) are given to students to help them with fees and living costs at one of 19 private dance and drama schools. You can apply directly to the dance and drama school you want to go to. The amount you get from the DaDA depends on your household income and where you live and study.


You’re eligible for DaDA if you’re an EU citizen and have been living in the EU for 3 continuous years immediately before the start of your course, and have ‘settled status’, or have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK. To get help with living costs you must be from England, Scotland or Wales.
  • Qualifications: You’re eligible for DaDA if you study for one of these Trinity College London Diplomas: Level 6 Diploma in Professional Acting (3 years), Level 5 Diploma in Professional Acting (1 year), Level 5 Diploma in Professional Dance (Classical Ballet or Contemporary Dance) (2 years), Level 6 Diploma in Professional Dance (3 years), or Level 6 Diploma in Professional Musical Theatre (3 years)
  • Age: You must be 16 or over for dance courses and must be 18 or over for acting courses.
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

More »

  • No Press Releases to display

More »


Uk Select a Country

Our Network :