Graduate Australian Medical School Admission Test in UK
The Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT) has been developed by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) in connective with the Consortium of Graduate Medical Schools to help in the selection of students to take part in the graduate-entry programs. GAMSAT is designed to evaluate the potential and the ability of the students who want to undertake the medical course.
You must complete your Bachelor degree, or shall be enrolled in the second-last or final year of study for a Bachelor degree, at the time of sitting the test.
The test consists of following sections: Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences , Written Communication and Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences
Reasoning in the Humanities and Social Sciences
The Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences includes questions based on the social and cultural context and tests skills in the interpretation and understanding of ideas in the same contexts.
- Structure: Multiple-choice questions
- No. of questions: 75
- Duration: 100 minutes
The Written Communication section assesses the applicants writing skills. The applicant is required to deliver new concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner.
- No. of Questions: 2
- Duration: 60 minutes, i.e. two thirty-minute writing tasks
Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences
This Section comprises of questions in three subject areas in the following proportions: Chemistry- 40%; Biology- 40% and Physics- 20%
- Structure: Multiple-choice
- No. of questions: 110 questions
- Duration: 170 minutes
You can register for GAMSAT by online mode only.
- Create an online account: You can register for GAMSAT online only with your email address, via the website www.gamsat.acer.edu.au.. This email address will be used for all the further communication from the GAMSAT Office at ACER.
- Enter details: You're required to put in all the required particulars as asked on the online registration form.
- Pay the fees: You can pay GAMSAT fees online by credit card, i.e. by MasterCard, AMEX, Diners or Visa, including Visa and MasterCard debit cards.
- Registration confirmation mail: When you complete your online registration successfully, a registration confirmation and checklist will be emailed to your nominated account.
The fee varies from year to year. Check the official website for fee and other details. You can pay GAMSAT fees online by credit card, i.e. by MasterCard, AMEX, Diners or Visa, including Visa and MasterCard debit cards.
Results and Scoring
The results of GAMSAT are sent via email. The results will include individual section score and Overall GAMSAT score. The Total Score will be a weighted average of the three section scores.
Scoring: Each of the four GAMSAT scores will be indicated on a scale of 0 to 100. The Overall GAMSAT Score will be calculated using the following formula:
Overall Score = (1 x Section I 1 x Section II 2 x Section III) � 4.
Analysis: The scores are showed in a chart form, thereby enabling to estimate an approximate percentile ranking for your Overall Score.
Test Day Essentials
You need to carry:
- Admission Ticket: The Admission Ticket is a must to carry on the test day. It is your permission to attend the test.
- Identification Proof: You will be required to show an original identification document that can be a valid passport, or a current, photo-bearing driver’s license (learner’s permit, probationary or full license),or a certified letter of identification from the institution/employer The letter must also have a passport photo with institution/employer stamp overlapping the photo.
For Non-English Candidates: Candidates whose native language is not English may bring a printed bilingual dictionary into the test for use in Section I and Section II only. The pages should be unmarked and all notes removed are allowed and acceptable.