Extra help for Medical, Social Work and Teacher Training Students in the UK

Medical, Social work and teacher training students can get additional assistance in various forms, such as, NHS bursaries, grants to cover travel expenses, social work bursaries and teacher training bursary.

NHS Bursaries

NHS bursary is for students undergoing training for medicine, dentistry or healthcare. NHS Bursaries help with living costs and tuition fees and don’t have to be paid back.


To get an NHS bursary you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years until the first day of the academic year, be ordinarily resident in England if you’re a medical or dental student, have ‘settled status’ in the UK, you must also be accepted for an NHS funded place on a full or part-time course which leads to professional registration as a doctor or dentist. 

Application Process

Applications for NHS bursaries are dealt with by NHS Student Bursaries. An application has to be made each year. To know more about the application process, visit https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/social-work-students. 

Travel Grants for Students

Travel grants are being provided to students if they normally live in England and study abroad as part of your course, or on an ERASMUS study or work placement.  You don’t have to pay back a travel grant.

Applying Ways and Means

Apply for student finance online using your student finance account. You can register and set up an account and then receive the desired form. Once you’ve filled in and returned the form, you’ll automatically get a travel grant form. Send the photocopies of the expenses along with the completed travel grant form. The money will be paid directly into your bank account.

Social Work Bursaries

The Social work bursary is for students undergoing training for social work. Social work bursaries help with living costs and tuition fees and don’t depend on your household income. Also, Social work bursaries don’t have to be repaid.


Social work bursaries are available to social work students who don’t receive financial support from their employer, are studying an approved undergraduate or postgraduate course in social work and don’t have a higher education social work qualification.

Applying Method

You need to apply to the NHS Business Service Authority (https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/social-work-students). 
Along with the application form, you require to submit an identity proof, which can be your birth certificate and your passport.

Teacher Training Funding

An undergraduate or postgraduate student can receive student finance for the following full or part-time teacher training courses: Initial Teacher Training (ITT), Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) and School-Centered Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) by applying for Student finance (Website: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login) . 
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

Know More »

  • No Press Releases to display

Know More »

Uk Select a Country

Our Network :